Thursday 3 October 2013

Pregnant Women Are Drama Queens....

Yes ladies I'm sorry, but for a large proportion of you (in London at least) this is very very true. 

I'm now just over seven months pregnant, and what I'm finding is actually true and what is total fallacy about commuting specifically is really amusing me. So the top two things I was warned about, sitting down and travelling with morning sickness, how have they panned out in reality?

1) No One Ever Offers You A Seat...

Nope, total bullshit. Granted there are a lot of people, and in this instance I'm afraid yes it's largely you menfolk, who will hide their heads behind a paper or suddenly look engrossed in staring down at Candy Crush so as to make it look like they've not seen you. Hmmm, yeah sorry but if you watch everyone the automatic reaction of most of us when someone enters a train carriage is to glance up, and between the badges and rocking the big old baby bump we're kind of hard to miss... 

Still, the absolute furthest I have made it on the overground standing is one stop. At which point either someone has noticed me and jumped up to kindly offer their seat, another standing passenger has made a request for someone to "let the pregnant lady sit down" and someone has always offered, or I've actually asked someone in the 'priority' seats to let me sit down and they always have and usually without seeming begrudging about it.

So yeah it's crap, and it's incredibly unfair to some, because it makes all us commuters sounds like total assholes. The simple truth is the stories about a lovely guy getting up as soon as he's seen you and offering his seat without prompting isn't anywhere near as entertaining to tell your friends than the one about the utter ASSHOLE who stared at you the whole way smirking and refusing to vacate his seat. Celebrate the nice people once in a while yeah?


2) Morning Sickness Just Makes Everything Impossible, Help Me...?

So this one is a little different, some women do genuinely suffer from horrendous morning sickness and it makes doing anything at all a million times harder. SOME women, not all of us, and I'm sorry but this one gets played on all the time! 

"I can't possibly stand/sit/walk/talk (please delete as required), I'm just suffering soooo much with this terrible morning sickness, I'm AM pregnant you know..."

Yes dear, of course you are. Or maybe you're one of the lucky ones, like me thankfully, who've had barely a touch of the dreaded morning sickness, and are now playing off the possibility of it in order to be a lazy cow? You know who you are, I mean most of us have done it at some point because we feel like crap for whatever reason but stop bloody acting the martyr because you happen to have been impregnated!

No comments:

Post a Comment