Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Desired Sound of Silence

What I have found since starting this blog is I go through phases where I struggle to post much, purely because I've not been given anything by the world worth writing about. But then sometimes, like this morning, an idea just lands in your lap. I happened across a delightful member of the commuter sect, really lovely guy...

I don't know about everyone else but this morning I was bloody freezing. So I was stood at my platform waiting for the train with my hands tightly jammed into my pockets wishing the train would turn up. (Note, remember GLOVES tomorrow!!!) When it did arrive thankfully there was my preferred seat free, it's right by the heater so mornings like this one it's kind of a lifesaver! In the aisle seat of the pair I'd sat in was sat this guy. Well I say sat but sprawled would be a better definition. I politely said excuse me as I sat down and was graced was a scowl of truly gentlemanly proportions. Lovely thinks I, but it's only half an hour to Waterloo and at least I'm warm! So I just ignored him.

Opposite me was a lady I know, we chat occasionally on the train but this morning I really didn't fancy talking to anyone. All I wanted was to keep my head down and get to work, so I just smiled at her and then slipped my headphones in, universal commuting symbol of "I'm not being rude, but I'd like to be left alone".

So the train is trundling along, slightly late but no big deal, when suddenly I feel someone jab my arm. Turning round, slightly taken aback I see the guy next to me scowling and gesturing furiously at the "no headphones/quiet carriage" sign. I think it must have been obvious I looked somewhat surprised and confused as he snapped something about me sitting in another carriage if I wanted my headphones on.

Okay, just to clarify here, I hate hearing the tinny sound of someone else's music or tv through their headphones so normally I would completely agree with his irritation. There was one factor this morning which led me to disagree, well two if I'm completely honest.

Firstly, and less pertinent, who the hell pokes at someone they don't know to get their attention?! I'm thirty and if my mother saw me doing that now she'd STILL verbally tear me a new one! Even if someone is really pissing me off I'll still retain my upbringing of good manners and politely say excuse me or pardon me to get their attention! I cannot stand someone being so unnecessarily rude so to be fair matey boy already had me wound up at him...

But my real point is somewhat more important to this situation, people's lack of manners are annoying but ultimately neither here not there. My point is more about his objection to the noise. After staring confusedly at him and his delightfully snarled objections I asked him very simply if he was joking, bad idea...

"No I'm not joking. This is a quiet carriage, so no headphones and your headphones are bothering me!"
"What, hold on, the sound from my headphones is bothering you?"
"Yes! I'm trying to sleep!"
"Okay, dude, if you can hear ANYTHING from my headphones I'll be seriously impressed with your hearing."
"Don't be sarcastic, just take them off! Of course I can hear them!"
"That's impressive, I'm not listening to anything...."

He just kind of stared at me. I just showed him the screen on my iPod, which was unsurprisingly dark as it was switched off. He continued to stare at me. Then he grumbled something beyond the realm of human hearing and shut his eyes and went back to sleep. Think that might have been largely because there was a large amount of giggling coming from people in the carriage.

I get it, quiet carriage means you want quiet, but maybe some people need to make less assumptions..? Funnily enough he didn't say anything else to me for the rest of the journey, although I did get a truly charming filthy look as he disembarked... I just smiled sweetly.

1 comment: