Wednesday 7 September 2011

Access Denied

Travelcards are a wonderful thing if you work in London, no queuing for tickets or anything like that, you just swipe and go. But, unlike Oystercards they have one massive flaw, the fact that if they come into close proximity to well just about anything the strip demagnetises and stops working. The things that we're told can do are credit cards, mobile phones or any magnets (seeing as a lot of handbags have magnetised catches this can really become awkward for women). When this happens the ticket needs reprinting, which you'd probably imagine is a fairly simple task. Well yes, unless (like me) you have an annual ticket purchased through your workplace. Because apparently even though these are still valid tickets with the train company, their details are not stored by said train company and in order to replace them you need letters and details and all manner of hoop jumping requirements.

As I was travelling back yesterday I was chatting to a friend from work about needing a replacement ticket, as mine is working but being around seven months old the printing on it is massively faded. I was saying that my concern was if it decided to stop working I wasn't convinced that the station staff would be able to read it and therefore would let me travel.

So of course it had to happen today...

When I arrived at the train station this morning the train was already on the platform, but I had time to whizz through and board. Or I would do if my ticket hadn't issued that lovely tone as it went through the machine meaning "NO ENTRY - DENIED!!!".
I swore, the woman behind me swore, basically no one was particularly happy with this turn of events. Thankfully I could see a guard not far off on the platform.

"Excuse me mate, sorry but my ticket isn't working. Could you please let me through?"

He stared at me as if I'd crawled out of a dung heap... I mean how dare I expect him to be helpful, and after I'd asked so rudely?!
He slowly sauntered towards the barriers with a half grin, clearly unconcerned as to whether or not I made it onto the train and performed the incredibly complicated function to open the gate without a ticket, be turned the key. Now I'm sure he was quite happy in his little hut out of the slightly cold wind, I mean the audacity of me thinking that asking him politely to do the job he's paid for is just sooo beyond the pale!!!

Ah well, I made the train despite of his little ego boosting power trip and my I've requested all the info from work to get the little piece of paper reprinted. If only they would allow Oystercards out as far as I am, would save them a fortune and their customers a lot of stress!! I just hope they still accept my ticket to get me home tonight!

It's total sod's law though!! lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment