Tuesday 15 November 2011

Growing Old, But Not Convinced About The Graceful Bit...

Since entering the painful era of my life, also known as my thirties, I seem to notice more things that just make me feel old.

The tune that comes on the radio that elicits the comment that "the original was so much better" is a great example. And to be fair nothing makes you feel old quite like the horrified look on a kid's face that their latest favourite track is a cover of one I listened to as a kid, I mean I'm just like soooo old duuuude!
Okay, the fact that saying "duuuuude" still makes me think of Ninja Turtles and Bill and Ted is NOT doing wonders for my "young" quota..! Still makes me grin though!

Situations like the one I'm currently in are just as bad. As I write this I'm sat on the Underground listening to a spotty ginger teen trying to impress a girl by boasting about his drinking escapades over the weekend. "I did like so many Jaeggerbombs that I can't even tell you what the hangover was like, and I can't remember what time we stopped!"
Ugh kid, seriously?! For starters you shouldn't even be getting hangovers at your age, you're like twelve! Us old feckers are the ones bemoaning how much worse hangovers get with age because we remember how we used to bounce straight back!
Also, if you have EVER got within so much as a sniff of a Jaeggerbomb I'll be truly amazed. No way would you get served at a bar, and your continuing proclamations of how you "don't even need ID" lead me to the masterful conclusion that you are underage. I mean Sherlock Holmes would've struggled with that and yet my deductions are sound I believe...!

When did we grow out of these dumbass boasts of alcoholic prowess? Oh that's right, we didn't... Maybe we're not getting that old after all!

Still the reality is there that time marches on and keeps it in it's unbreakable grip. Though I did stumble across one great logic that helps. People in their eighties now still love and listen to the same music they did in their youth. Which means that one day when I'm eighty the same logic will apply. I'll be the happy house and trance granny, with a side order of G 'n R! Rock on grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment