Thursday 28 March 2013

Commuting, It's A Tiring Process

When I boarded the train the other morning I have to admit I was confronted by something that I've not seen before, a woman asleep on the train. Yes I know that's pretty regular, so it sounds like I'm talking crap but this was bizarrely different. She was asleep lying across three seats...

Okay, I get she's tired but who the hell tries to lie down and sleep on an early morning, and crazy busy, commuter train...? Thankfully my usual seat was free so I got myself settled down and stuck my headphones on. Until the guy next to me pointed out it was a great idea and more people should do it. Heh heh, very funny, oh you're serious? Wait, what?! This is your idea of a great idea? Um, weird?

I just said she wouldn't make it to Waterloo without being moved and he seemed confused by this attitude. Well let's think about this. It's eight o'clock, the train is usually rammed to the point of uncomfortable standing room only by the time we leave Surbiton and you really think no one is going to tell her to move? Aw bless, you're new at this aren't you?

Funnily enough Surbiton rolled around and she was woken up and asked to move. I just smiled quietly to myself, shame for her disturbed sleep but I wasn't remotely surprised, well beyond the fact that she was woken very politely by someone rather than just being barked at to shift the hell out the way!

"Oh well it looks like you were right," says matey boy next to me. I smiled politely at him and didn't really say anything. "But," he continued. "I do think it was rather rude of whoever woke her up to have done that, people should respect that she was obviously very tired and left her to sleep!"

...?! I'm not often gobsmacked into silence but that did it! The other commuter was rude? To ask her to only take up one seat on a busy train rather than three?
Am I missing something here? Personally I'd say it would be more rude to expect people to stand so you can occupy three seats when the train is packed to the doors. I mean no one was rude, she was asked to move and she did, everything was very civil and friendly. But seriously I don't get this guy's stance, I just don't. Actually I find it truly screwy and fucked up to have that point of view.

Opinions? What would you have done in either person's place? I know commuting into London does impact your sensibilities about other people on the same train/tube but I'm sure I'm still clinging onto enough sanity to have the right view on this surely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment