Wednesday 23 March 2011

Not The Pumps!!!

There's a new campaign I've seen started, which crops up every once in a while, to try and convince people to not buy petrol on the 1st of April this year. This is intended to make a point about fuel prices being so high and to try and convince a price drop to happen.

Petrol is at an all time high, and I do think that needs to be lowered and controlled, but I can't give this campaign my support.

The reason for this is simple. As it stands right now £0.59 on every litre of petrol is taxation. And according to petrolprices.com the current prices are between £1.269 and £1.469 per litre. So this is anywhere from forty to forty six and a half percent of tax on each litre you buy!!!

So, this is my point, what is the benefit of boycotting petrol stations when it's the insane amount of tax on petrol which is making the price quite so ludicrous? If change is to happen it'll have to come from the government in the form of tax drops and/or the petrol price stabiliser which has been discussed. But then how will the MPs afford their second homes? So I don't think I'm going to hold my breath!

Though boycotting the pumps will have one effect that is undeniable, even for me. Your car won't run without petrol, guess we're all walking to work today?

No comments:

Post a Comment