Tuesday 9 August 2011

London Predicts A Riot

We're three days (or nights rather) into the riots and looting in London and I for one am truly disgusted by the behaviour of these "tax paying citizens" who all look suspiciously young to be "getting back our taxes" as stated by one of them in Clapham last night whilst stealing a flatscreen tv...

All through this the police have been a silent and unseen presence, or so the media would have people believe. As fires swept through the capital a terrified cry rose above the noise of sirens and alarms pleading for police assistance and firefighters. And they answered the call, every single one of them, and we should be damn proud of them, I know I am.

Yes there were areas where people felt unprotected but they cannot be everywhere, it's simply impossible, they were massively outnumbered in many areas and quite cynically and simply why would the media report on areas of London where the rioters have been quelled? I doubt it would make as "good" viewing compared to the fear and suffering that could be broadcast from other areas.
And if the police had adopted a more aggressive stance then all we'd be hearing today is about their terrible heavy headed approach and police brutality! They can't win and yet they still stand up to protect us. Maybe some support and gratitude should be in order?

Then there is the social networks which seemed to cover the two extreme opinions from unquestioning support of the looters to utter horror at the degradation of our society. Warmed the heart though to read page after page condemnation for the actions of the reprobates who quite clearly thought everyone would be behind them. Well technically I'd like to be, but I'm not going to jail for the use of garrotte wire on one of those opportunistic leeches!

I spent half the night following the news coverage and trying to contact my family and friends to ensure their safety, and thankfully it would appear those dear to me have come off unscathed.
I was recounted a story last night by a friend who had heard from a good friend us his hiding on her roof because her home was being trashed by these scumbags. How is that protest? Or any statement other than "we do not deserve to be heard"?!

I would truly like to see every single one of those condemning the emergency services being forced off their sofas to kit up and stand shoulder to shoulder with the brave men and women  in uniform.
And as for those guilty of the atrocities across London who are caught and charged, if they want a fight then let's let them have one... on the front lines of the war in Afghanistan with the soldiers who've been risking their lives on these "people's" behalf for the last god knows how long.

In the face of Theresa May's assertions that costs can be cut to the force without repercussion she was proven wrong in the most truly spectacular fashion.

This morning though I was proud to be on my way to work as normal. Bomb trains, riot and loot our homes and businesses but Londoners still stand tall and keep going. Not breaking our spirit!

As I head home tonight the fourth day of trouble appears to have started once again with reports of trouble in Wimbledon already filtering through. To the 16,000 police on our streets tonight I say, those I know and those I don't, thank you and please be safe tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment