Friday 26 August 2011

The Next Generation - Oh Hell!

As I've mentioned before I work part time in a pub, it's a nice change of pace to my office and I wouldn't see half the amusing things I do without it! What always leaves me nonplussed however is the attitude when drinking of some parents towards those in their charge and the terrible example they set.

Quite recently while working a weekend evening shift a woman turned up about ten or half past and was followed into the pub by her two children, maybe twelve and six at an estimate. Now our place has a time rule for kids, they've got to be gone by half eight midweek and six on weekends. I quickly pointed that fact out to this woman who informed me it was fine and her kids would wait outside. Nice right?

The two children headed for the beer garden and I had to tell them they weren't allowed and needed to leave, so they went and sat on the top step by the front door. Number one they were now blocking the entrance and number two that's still pub premises. So I went over and asked them to move at which point the girl, the "eldest" of the two, told me to fuck off... Lovely child, but I just told her she had to be off the premises very calmly and was subjected to a tirade of swearing and questions as to where I would let her stand.

Okay change of tack, I went and told the mother, who was happily chucking vodka back, she'd either have to deal with them or leave. She told me they were fine and when told her charming daughter had sworn at me she just laughed and turned back to her drink.

Okay, let's try with the kids again. Told them to move off premises and got another load of verbal abuse off the girl. So I shut the door on her not wanting to hear anymore and she shoved it back open to carry on.
In the end the woman was told to leave and take her bloody offspring with her but remembering it still makes me cringe if this is what future generations are going to be like!

Or in a granny styled moment - We wouldn't have dared acted like that when we were kids!!!

Sad, but true!

No comments:

Post a Comment