Tuesday 31 January 2012

Whereabouts Do You Live Again...?

I've talked recently about kid's name, specifically the atrocities heaped upon the unfortunate children of the rich and famous. Having given it some thought maybe the life of luxury they're likely to lead due to the rich and famous part needs to be balanced out, and it's achieved by the awful name they spend their lifetime resenting? It's a thought if nothing else!

Anyway, that post got me thinking, about other things that have dumb names, and I've stumbled across the one that makes me laugh the most - names of towns and places. There seriously are some awesomely ridiculous examples, and they seemed worth sharing! So here we go!


Blackadder. Really? I would truly love to know which came first, the character or the location. This Blackadder is a hamlet on the Scottish Borders near Allanton, Duns and Whitsome. One thing I was really gutted about though is it's nowhere near Roxburgh, Selkirk, or Peebles seeing as the character was laird of those areas. Would've been perfect!

And ironically that leads me into my second one, Booze... Who calls a place Booze for crying out loud?!



But there it is, Booze and Booze Wood. The Blackadder connection if you're struggling to get it is the episode with Lord and Lady Whiteadder when he has to seem teetotal, and one of his drinking buddies comes running into the room shouting "Great booze up Blackadder". Always made me laugh.
In reality, no idea why anyone would go for this name for a place, maybe they were drunk at the time?



Next one up, Bottom Flash. Maybe named after the local perv? The modern day equivalent of the village idiot? Ah these modern times!!


Another local perv then! You would've thought that "Cockup" was a bad enough name on it's own, did someone really have to add "Great" to it?! Massive stupidity or just a really puerile sense of humour?



I think we've found the cradle of life for the poultry of the country. But now seeing as that's showing water on the map is that name actually just a really awful description...? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew....!


Moving swiftly on... And yet still no better. And try this one for weird. There's a webpage regarding the Lickey End Parish Council, which apparently was formed purely with the intention to return Lickey End to an unparished status... Well call me crazy here, but if it'd never been formed in the first place then they'd still be unparished...? Maybe I'm missing a trick here, but then when a community go for a name place like that then I'm thinking moments of planning genius are few and far between...


I really really don't know what to even say about this one... And for the record just to the southwest there is also Upper Dicker... Good grief!



Pratt's Botom... I truly wish this one was a joke. Especially as it's next to "The Bull's Head". I mean come on people, a little future thought might be nice!



I wonder if the residents of Sandy Balls have a great golf course...? I hope so, that'd be whole new levels of awesomeness!!!



.... *opens mouth* ..... *closes mouth* ...... *looks confused*..... *opens mouth*....... *closes mouth*
Yeeeeeeah, okay then.... Um.... Well.... Okay no, I can't do it! I cannot for the life of me keep a straight face over that one!


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, moving on again!

The last one, and ironically the first one I saw that put this blog idea in my head.

I just really wish I could've found somewhere called Shitz to go with it!

So keep your eyes peeled people, there's some fantastic places to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment