Monday 9 January 2012

Intellectual Fail....

I've been meaning to share this one for a while, a little gem overheard whilst working behind the bar.

It was a slow night at the pub, so we tend to do more tidying and sorting when there's not many customers to serve. I'd gone outside to cool down a bit (it gets roasting hot on the work side of the bar) and to collect any glasses that had been left lying around in the beer garden.

Outside were two girls and two guys having a cigarette and a chat. I knew the guys, they're pretty much regulars, but I'd not seen the girls before. I think one was one of the guys girlfriends but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, while working you tend to find you half listen to what people are saying, not meaning to eavesdrop but it's just a habit most bartenders end up with in my experience. And conversations like this make me so happy it happens.

One of the guys was asking why they always end up talking about fairly inconsequential stuff and stated it would be nice to have an intellectual conversation for once, about politics or something. One of the girls then said that was fine and she thought Tony Blair was an asshole. Granted not the most eloquent of political opinions but a reasonable opinion to have.

The guy pointed out that was all well and good but as he was no longer PM it was a bit of a dated statement, to which she responded with the following -

"Well yeah okay, he's not. Who took over from him again? Oh yeah, Boris Johnson..."

At this point I had to go back inside and miss any following gems because I was shaking with laughter, was trying not to be rude and trying not to drop the glasses I was carrying. I was pretty much trying not to cry with laughter!

So I think that some are born intelligent, some achieve intelligence and more often than not some have other people's lack of intelligence thrust upon them...!

No comments:

Post a Comment