Thursday 12 January 2012

WARNING : This Label Contains Pointless Information..!!

Warning labels are a source of so much entertainment, they manage to state the absolute obvious and still manage to sound like they're imparting some prized gem of knowledge. And although this may be taken as patronising I prefer to find the funny side and sit giggling to myself while I read.

Peanut packets are a great example of this. "May contain nuts" Really?! I'd damn well hope so otherwise I am going to feel truly cheated!

Or Preparation H is another great one, "not to be taken orally", because that seriously needs to be stated. Piles cream shouldn't be applied to the mouth... Well thank god you told me because that would've been my first thought of how to use cream for something that affects my arse!

I'm definitely a fan of the "warning, contents may be hot" on coffee cups. I mean I know some people actually like iced coffee, the majority of us aren't weird and lacking in taste buds so we prefer the hot and nicely flavoured version. So does the temperature of the coffee really need to be pointed out to us?

And I love the fact that the warning labels on lighters feel the need to point out that they "contain flammable fluid". Amazing piece of knowledge there, I never would have worked that out for myself!!!

But, my point, and why I started this post is more about smoking. My hubby is thinking of trying to quit smoking. Something I completely support, and really hope he does. And to help with this one of the things he has picked up is the Nicorette inhaler, so he can still take a drag off something rather than just stapling patches to himself. So far, so good.

Last night he got the inhaler out and decided to give it a try, so he read through the little instruction and warning booklet thingie and then plugged in a vial and gave it a go. On the smoking side, apparently it's not too bad, but I became a lot more interested in reading through the booklet because it has one of the greatest examples of printed stupidity that I have ever seen.

All you ever hear is that people struggle to quit smoking because of the nicotine. See, it's apparently the nicotine that is addictive, granted that's not my experience but maybe I'm just lucky. So, people smoke for the nicotine, and every aid to quitting smoking is designed to give you a smaller amount of nicotine so you can quit the cigarettes and wean yourself off said nicotine. Everyone with me so far?

This is what I found on the booklet that came with the inhaler -


Ummmmmm, maybe it's just me but I'm thinking that if you're allergic to nicotine, then the chances are you wouldn't have been smoking in the first place? And if you weren't smoking in the first place then you don't need a quit smoking aid...? In which case you would have never bought a Nicorette Inhaler and you wouldn't be reading this booklet...?!

What the hell is wrong with these people?! I get that in today's society you have to cover your arse but this is beyond ridiculous! And how much would it suck to be addicted to something you're allergic to?! How would you decide which was worse, withdrawal or anaphylaxis... How can I possibly choose between two such awesome options?! I mean I'm allergic to tinned pineapple, but I don't slowly wean myself off it by smoking Nicopine Inhalapple sticks do I...?

So remember people, don't continue to consume stuff you're allergic to, apparently that's bad...!

No comments:

Post a Comment