Thursday 20 January 2011

School Night Drinking, Early Mornings, Trains and Bacon Rolls

Was a fab night last night, and not seen my gorgeous mate's other half in ages which was cool, but when I woke up early this morning with the alarm clock screaming at me for attention I did slightly regret the combo of gin, red wine and bottled mexican lager which seemed such a very fine plan last night! Still, with all the good intentions of exercise still battering at the, somewhat more fragile than normal, inside of my skull I dragged myself away from the warm embrace of the bed and my husband and threw myself in the shower to start getting prepared for the next day's installment of my working life.

After forcing myself to get out in time to walk to the station I actually started to feel a lot better, the fresh air was revitalising my lethargic attitude and by the time I reached the station I was actually feeling pretty good and clear headed. Naturally this meant I had beaten the impending hangover...! Or not, as my brain proceeded to spend the entire train journey up to Waterloo telling me that it wanted a bacon roll or it was going to make today as miserable as it possibly could. My palate was also telling me that there'd better be something fizzy and refreshing or there would be hell to pay!

Upon getting on the tube I thought maybe my insides would stop attempting to engage me in conversation as I was stoically refusing to answer as I was not prepared to give in to the first stages of insanity by starting to discuss my breakfast with myself! Apparently my insides are just as stubborn as the rest of me...!
The tube was busy, but not rammed so I happily headed for an empty seat only to be barged out of the way by some grumpy looked suited middle aged man. How delightful. Seriously, when getting on a tube train why do people feel the need to push past everyone else with only the goal of the seat they can see in the forefront of their minds, only to then get off at the very next stop?! Seriously people, stop it. It's rude, it's annoying and it causes me to spend the time between those two stops glaring at you instead of playing games on my iPhone!! I have better things to do with my time! This guy proceeded to get off at the expected next stop and had ignored my glaring attempts, still didn't get the damn seat though as a pregnant woman got on and unlike it seems 99% of the London Underground passenger base I cannot in all good conscience sit down and leave her to stand. Yes male population I'm talking to you, because almost every time I see someone give up their seat for a pregnant woman it's usually another woman, step up boys you're letting your insecurities show, you really can tell the difference between fat and pregnant so stop whinging that excuse for why you don't dare offer your seat.

Upon arrival at my stop my internals picked up the clamour once again for bacon rolls and fizzy stuff, and I gave up the fight. So I made my way to the shop and got grapes and Fanta and then wandered down to get myself that much needed bacon roll on the way through to the office. And that's when it happened, that's when I finally saw something that I couldn't just cope with. The hangover hadn't beaten me, neither had the incessant howlings from within for certain things for breakfast, not even the tube had phased me that much, BUT when I achieved my goal and had the desired heated breakfast in my hands I was told that would be £2.10

Now I know this doesn't sound a huge amount dear reader, but please allow me to enlighten you as to why this wound me up beyond saving. At this time last year the exact same bacon roll, at the exact same bacon roll purveyor's, served by the exact same person cost me £1. Then a couple of months back they decided in their infinite wisdom that they should be charging £1.90 which bugged me because I really didn't think there would be a good enough reason for a hike in price of almost 100% and decided that I would cut down on my bacon roll consumption.
But at £2.10 I think me and my occasional bacon rolls will be parting company, there comes a time where all of us must choose our battle lines and put our foot down over something, and as small and petty and daft as it is I have drawn my battle line and no one shall pass!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment