Thursday 27 January 2011

OAT's (Old Aged Terrorists)

On occasion I take the bus to the train station in the morning, for one of a couple of possible reasons. Maybe I've hurt my foot, or I'm running late but more often than not it's because I had a couple of glasses of wine the night before... This morning, as much as I'd like to deny it, it was due to imbibing of well aged grape juice...
As it turned out, lousy idea. The bus was running horrendously late which has the delightful knock on effect of me miss my train and being late for work. There's nothing I find quite so irritating first thing than knowing it doesn't matter what you do, you have no chance of making it to work on time, I am now a victim of the transport system timetable.

Anyway, whilst waiting for the bus a veritable motley crew of other prospective passengers also made their way to the bus stop, one of which was a very sweet looking little old lady. When the bus finally wound it's way to us I politely stood back so she could board first. She showed her bus pass to the driver who told her they aren't valid before nine o'clock and, apparently deciding it wasn't worth the fare, she got back off the bus and started to walk off. As I bought my ticket the driver piped up with

"Every morning one of them tries it on like that, they know they can't use those passes till nine!!"

What on earth does he think is going on?! Are they somehow stealth activists plotting to bring down the transport network by flooding all forms of public transport with oldies illegally using their bus passes at commuter time?! I know people worry about terrorist attacks but I think, just possibly, they're looking in the wrong place!

No comments:

Post a Comment